In honor of the birthday party we're going to have here this afternoon, the focus for this week's Chocolate Friday is ... CHOCOLATE CAKE!!!
First offering is a poem:
Chocolate cake, chocolate cake!
Momma please make us
some chocolate cake.
We'll promise and swear
that we'll be very good.
We won't hide our peas,
oh, if you only would,
please momma make
please momma make
a chocolatey chocolatey
Now I usually don't do cake from scratch, it's way too much work, and I'm a lazy git. I prefer cake mixes, or better yet, a good bakery that will do lovely roses and such on the top. BUT, I do have to admit that my grandma's chocolate cake was the best in the world. She always made hers from scratch, and my chubby fingers always snuck into the bowl for a taste of the batter when she wasn't looking. I'm very sorry to say, Gramma's cake recipe died with her. I offer this as a runner-up substitute:
2 cups flour
1/1/2 c sugar
1/2 c cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 egg whites, beaten
1/2 - 2/3 cup oil
1 - 1 1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Mix dry ingredients and set aside. Blend beaten egg whites and oil in a separate bowl. Stir in yogurt, egg, and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes. Combine with dry ingredients and beat until creamy. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes. Allow to cool and frost if desired.
Now, if that doesn't float your chocolate cake boat, try these recipes:
- Absurdly Easy Chocolate Cake - easy and vegan too (no animal products used)
- Flourless Chocolate Cake - a traditional French recipe for chocolate cake
- Scandinavian Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake - another one with no flour
- Chocolate Cake in a Jar - I love these "stuff in a jar" recipes, great gift ideas
- Drunken Chocolate Cake Recipe - made with rum. Yum!
- Death by Chocolate - now THAT's what I'm talkin' about